Sunday, June 20, 2004

Father's Day

Seems like I am having trouble with this blogging business. I just wrote a long eulogy to my father and I clicked something once and lost the whole post.Dang
My dad was a very generous man.Once he gave away our bikes to a poor family.We weren't using them much anymore. I never missed mine. When I was in grade shool one year about a week before Christmas he took my sister Barbara and I along to the hardware store. We could look at the toys while he took care of his business and then when he was done he surprised us and said we could get something! Times weren't so commercial like now.This was really special.I got a craft set of six pictures to color in with pens and then you went over the coloring with a wet brush. Mom later framed the pictures and I had them in my bedroom for a long time. I wonder whatever happened to those pics?? When my parents took me to the cities to start school we got lost but we also made it to Dayton's and my dad bought me a beautiful new dress. It was a white cotton blouse and skirt to match with light blue ruffles in the outfit. My dad was very proud of me for getting on the student council in high school. He was proud of me for going to nursing school.He danced with me at my high school prom .It was the only time I ever danced with him. He was eager to have discussions at the dinner table.He was fun.For our birthdays he would bring home a hugh grocery bag full of just treats for the birthday girl only.This was of course besides the birthday gift!(There was a grocery store in my dad's building that he owned and worked in).He did this too for St. Nicholas Day.He would pretend to be St. Nick and knock on windows and doors with gingle bells.We would be screaming with delight running from window to window trying to catch a glimpse of St. Nick.Then we would open the door and find a grocery bag for each of us with our name on it full of treats-pop,crakerjacks,tangerines,olives,candybars and more!!! When he was much younger than I am today , while in the hospital having a chest x-ray I was went with him . He was having shortness of breath.He looked up at me and asked "Am I dying?" I answered " Yes you are Dad" The rest is history.

No comments: